Careers in Water/Wastewater
The following positions have been submitted to KWEA for posting. Please contact the organization for each listing with any questions or follow-up. If you would like to add an open position to our list, please send us an email.
Utility Operator I
City of Derby
The Public Works Utilities Division in Derby is looking for civic-minded men and women who have a desire to learn and grow in a utility division.
$15.55 per hour
Open until filled
Wastewater Treatment Crew Member I or II
Johnson County Wastewater
Johnson County Wastewater is looking for qualified applicants to fill multiple positions of Treatment Crew Member I and II (depending on experience and background) at the new Tomahawk Wastewater Treatment Plant. Positions available across all three shifts. First shift is scheduled to primarily work from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with a weekend rotation and emergency call back. Second shift is scheduled to primarily work from 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Third shift is scheduled to primarily work from 11:00 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. These positions are focused on various operations and maintenance tasks which provide opportunities for learning, growth, and career development in a hands-on values and team-based work environment. Johnson County offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, retirement programs, tuition reimbursement, and various discounts and incentives. The tasks completed and those working in this position have an impact on the Wastewater Department's mission of protecting the environment, serving our customers, and enhancing our communities.
Job duties include the following:
- Inspects and documents plant and pump station processes to ensure proper operations and detect common equipment failures by reading and interpreting information provided by the SCADA system, visual observations of tanks and tests, and other instrumentation; monitors telemetry equipment to identify alarms during heavy rain events and emergency operations; may carry on-call duty phone or pager to respond to alarms and other needs during off-hours; works weekend shifts either independently for more routine operation functions or with other crew members when more advanced operations or maintenance functions are needed.
- Performs specific laboratory analysis for compliance by collecting samples and using standard methods and techniques; performs microscopic examination of samples for types and quantities of micro-organisms.
- Under direct supervision, assists in performing preventative and general maintenance on assigned equipment by adjusting and troubleshooting a variety of complex pumps, valves, motors, and other equipment required to maintain appropriate operations; assists with the repair or replacement of a variety of piping and other infrastructure or equipment.
- Maintains and updates operational and maintenance records, logs, and databases; performs and records routine mathematical calculations related to plant operational activities.
- Works with the public and other customers by assisting haulers/tankers, delivery drivers, and vendors/contractors; responds to routine questions and complaints from the general public and escalates more complex requests, questions, or concerns.
$18.67 – $25.26
Applications for this job will be accepted on an on-going basis until all positions are filled with first review on November 16, 2020.